Echoes from the Woodland
Echoes from the Woodland by Cecelia Wester Stanke
The Woodland – Ohrmstrom School, Joint School District No. 6 Towns of Ogema and Catawba, was built in this Swedish enclave located in southern Price County on one acre of land donated by Charles Ohrstrom. This little school measured 18 x 37 feet and was built exactly like a traditional Swedish log home. In September 1887, the school opened with 10 pupils and continued to educate children until 1944. These stories and photographs tell the history of this school and the community that supported it. In 1957, the building was carefully relocated to the Price County Fairgrounds in Phillips to serve as a historical reminder of early one-room schools for all to view and enjoy.